Sunday, April 15, 2007

No More Diamonds

Call me stupid. Call me naive, but I had no idea where America, or the rest of the world for that matter, gets the majority of their diamonds. My husband and I watched, Blood Diamond, last night. After seeing how the innocent of Africa sacrifice for the supply of diamonds out of their country, I asked my husband not to buy me any more. I'll keep my wedding ring, and the other pieces, but no more. The thought of a child working as a slave, or losing a hand, so I can wear some bling bling on my hand, is too much. They say to buy only "conflict" free diamonds. How are we to know? Most of the diamonds from Africa come from Liberia. There are no diamond mines in Liberia. Liberia ships diamonds that are smuggled from conflict torn areas of Africa.

Sorry for getting on my soap box. The movie was excellent. The acting superb. And once the movie was finished, I was angry. The plight of the African people tears at my heart. How the actions over there must hurt the heart of God. So, for my part, no more diamonds.

I sure hope I don't learn gold and silver suffers the same plight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sad. I had no idea. I do not wear much jewlery as it is, but now, diamonds will never look the same.
Loretta from Christian Children's Book Review http://www.ccbreview.blogspot.com